Monday, September 13, 2010

Plan of Attack (first draft)

First semester process diagram
In order to produce my thesis, I must spend the first semester thoroughly researching both my site, Squirrel Hill in Pittsburgh, and my case study cities of Oslo, Copenhagen and Stockholm. The Scandinavian studies will produce a typology and a set of guidelines to apply to the site. Through the synthesis of the typological guideline and its application and tailoring to fit the unique conditions of Squirrel Hill I will develop a compelling program which I will achieve in the second semester.

1 comment:

  1. First, of all I would just like to comment that we used the same "Plan of Attack" title...great minds think alike.

    Second, how does Scandinavia compare to Pittsburgh? I understand your desire since you've been to Scandinavia so you have personal experience to draw upon but I just wonder if there would be any opportunities to use other cities either in Europe (such as Paris as mentioned in your 1+3+9) or otherwise. I feel like you will have to make a strong argument as to why Scandinavia is your precedent study region (if it is your only precedent area) for the study of the relationship between the automobile and the pedestrian.

    Might I also suggest looking at areas that are just as bad if not worse than here? I could give you personal insight on the pedestrian consideration (or lack thereof) in Middle Eastern streetscapes. Sometimes studying the absolute terrible can yield more positive results.

    ReplyDelete